14:00:09 <mburns> #startmeeting oVirt Weekly Sync
14:00:09 <ovirtbot> Meeting started Wed Aug 28 14:00:09 2013 UTC.  The chair is mburns. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:00:09 <ovirtbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
14:00:22 <mburns> #chair oschreib
14:00:22 <ovirtbot> Current chairs: mburns oschreib
14:00:28 <mburns> #topic agenda and roll call
14:00:37 <mburns> #info 3.3 status
14:00:43 <mburns> #info infra update
14:00:48 <mburns> #info conferences and workshops
14:00:59 <mburns> #info other topics
14:03:37 * lvernia here
14:04:16 * sahina here
14:04:40 <mburns> #topic 3.3 update
14:04:59 <mburns> #info no blocker review today, it was done yesterday in the go/no-go meeting
14:05:09 <mburns> #info release delayed by 1 week
14:05:20 <mburns> #info new vdsm and node builds are published to ovirt.org
14:05:42 <mburns> #info new engine build to be posted later today
14:05:49 * oschreib here
14:06:20 <mburns> any other question/comments/concerns about the 3.3 release?
14:07:01 <oschreib> might worth mentioning that the GA is next week.
14:07:16 <oschreib> and that I'm going to create ovirt-engine-3.3.0 branch for that release
14:07:54 <oschreib> so ovirt-engine-3.3 will be the stable branch, so people will be able to cherry pick fixes without worrying about breaking GA
14:08:18 <mburns> #info GA is set for next wednesday
14:08:27 <mburns> #info go/no-go set for next tuesday
14:08:40 <mburns> oschreib: branch doesn't seem right...
14:08:56 <sahina> oschreib, there's already a ovirt-engine-3.3 branch
14:09:23 <mburns> oschreib: i would think a tag is sufficient...
14:09:46 <sahina> oh..right, u said 3.3.0
14:09:46 <oschreib> mburns: 3.3.0 branch for GA, than 3.3.1 branch for z stream
14:09:58 <oschreib> created from the main 3.3 branch
14:10:07 <mburns> oschreib: 3.3.1 should be 3.3.0+
14:10:14 <oschreib> so all maintainers will be able to push fixes all the time
14:10:17 <mburns> no reason for separate tags...
14:10:25 <mburns> err...separate branches
14:10:43 <oschreib> mburns: but now people don't push fixes into 3.3 since we're near GA
14:11:02 <oschreib> although they fix issues on master
14:11:28 <mburns> oschreib: i'll leave it up to you, but i would think that patches for 3.3.1 could just be queued up and not pushed (though fully acked)
14:11:40 <mburns> that's the process we use for ovirt-node
14:11:53 <mburns> patch goes into master, get's backported to the release branch
14:12:06 <oschreib> well, there are much more patches/maintainers/etc in engine
14:12:16 <mburns> then mark releases based on tags
14:12:30 <mburns> oschreib: you can manage it however you want, though
14:12:41 <mburns> extra branches seem like overkill to me, but up to you
14:12:43 <mattymo> anyone know who workd on the ovirt console UI for managing compute hosts?
14:13:56 <mburns> mattymo: on the ovirt-node or in the engine?
14:14:04 <mattymo> I believe node
14:14:15 <oschreib> mburns: ok, we can just to next topic, I'll discus it off-list
14:14:18 <mattymo> I'm trying to write something similar in urwid
14:14:28 <mburns> mattymo: fabiand is the architect of that
14:14:32 <mattymo> cool
14:14:32 <mburns> oschreib: ack
14:14:39 <mburns> #topic Infra update
14:14:47 <mburns> eedri: ewoud:  any updates this week?
14:15:47 <ewoud> mburns: we're working on using the extra storage on our rackspace machines
14:16:13 <ewoud> we intend to use gluster so we would get some HA storage, but that's a work in progress
14:16:18 <mburns> ewoud: excellent
14:16:32 <mburns> #info working on using available storage space on rackspace machines
14:17:21 <mburns> #info plan to use gluster eventually, but that is wip
14:17:36 <mburns> ewoud: have backups all moved off? or is that still a "planned" task?
14:17:49 <mburns> (off of the resources.ovirt.org linode server)
14:19:02 <dneary> Hi everyone! Sorry I'm late
14:19:24 * dneary is here
14:19:38 <eedri> mburns, updated jenkins slaves cpu power to help run more jobs per patch
14:19:40 <ewoud> mburns: planned
14:19:57 <eedri> mburns, right now findbugs is on slient mode and looks ok (10-20 min per job)
14:20:03 <dneary> oschreib, Just catching up - what's the z stream?
14:20:57 <mburns> #info jenkins slaves improved to allow more jobs to run
14:21:11 <mburns> #info move of backups from resources to rackspace is still planned
14:21:12 <dneary> mattymo, Maybe vojtech szocks knows?
14:21:23 <mburns> dneary: the mattymo question is ovirt-node specific
14:21:39 <mburns> i've directed him to my team to help
14:21:42 <mattymo> the question is urwid specific for how you drop to a shell
14:21:43 <dneary> mburns, Thanks
14:22:21 <mattymo> there are a number of spots in the code where you drop from plymouth to an emergncy shell but I can't find the specific code that is inside the actual console UI
14:22:39 <oschreib> dneary: 3.3.1 release if we will have such
14:22:40 <dneary> mburns, re 3.3, can we get a link to the blockers, please? Is there a blocker bug that lists them?
14:22:50 <mburns> ewoud: eedri:  anything else for infra?
14:23:03 <dneary> oschreib, Ah - so it's as in "x.y.z" release numbers?
14:23:11 <oschreib> dneary: indeed
14:23:17 <oschreib> dneary: tracker https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=918494
14:23:25 <oschreib> all bugs are fixed AFAIK
14:23:39 <eedri> mburns, jenkins master was upgraded to latest LTS
14:23:43 <dneary> #link 3.3 release tracker bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=918494
14:23:50 <eedri> mburns, not sure if it was last week though... or before
14:23:53 <mburns> dneary: yes, z-stream is more internal red hat term, but it's basically the "update release"
14:23:57 <dneary> (not sure if I'm doing meetbot right)
14:24:10 <mburns> eedri: i think i put that in last weeks minutes, but i'll add it again
14:24:23 <mburns> #info jenkins master upgraded to latest LTS release
14:25:37 <mburns> ok, moving on
14:25:43 <mburns> #topic Conferences and Workshops
14:26:09 <mburns> dneary: any updates on the workshop/dev meetings?
14:26:15 <mburns> or other conferences/workshops?
14:26:21 <dneary> Yes
14:26:47 <dneary> We have just put together the schedule for the KVM Forum/oVirt meeting - notifications should be going out this week
14:27:09 <dneary> Please register now for the KVM Forum (it'll get you into oVirt sessions too)
14:27:22 <dneary> First 150 (I think) registrations are free
14:27:41 <mburns> #info schedule is put together for the KVM Forum/oVirt meetings, notifications should go out this week
14:28:00 <mburns> #info please register for KVM Forum, it gets you into the oVirt sessions as well
14:28:05 <dneary> The format: KVM Forum will have a management track on Tuesday 22nd in the afternoon, which will cover a range of management projects (don't want to give too many spoilers)
14:28:22 <mburns> #info first 200 to register are free
14:28:26 <dneary> And day 3 will have some oVirt specific sessions in the morning, and an oVirt developer meeting in the afternoon
14:28:53 <mburns> #info there will be a management track on the afternoon of the 22nd
14:29:04 <mburns> #info and ovirt specific sessions on day 3 in the morning
14:29:13 <mburns> #info and developer meetings in the afternoon
14:30:27 <mburns> dneary: excellent, anything else?
14:31:15 <itamar> there are also several tracks on CloudOpen on monday for oVirt
14:31:37 <mburns> #info there are also some CloupOpen sessions on monday for oVirt
14:31:52 <mburns> #info that does require separate linuxcon/cloudopen registration
14:32:05 <itamar> ovirt live snapshots with ram, intro to ovirt, cloud-init. as well as a two-hours training in cloud open on wednesday
14:33:27 <mburns> #info some cloud open sessions:  ovirt live snapshots with ram, intro to ovirt, cloud-init, 2 hours of training
14:33:33 <dneary> Sorry - got distracted
14:34:30 <dneary> We have a number of oVirt presentations in CloudOpen, and a scripting tutorial from Oved on Wednesday morning (bit of a schedule clash there, but IIRC the talks clashing are aiming for a different audience)
14:34:57 <dneary> Nothing else concrete
14:35:11 <dneary> I need to set up some workshops to happen before the end of the year
14:35:24 <mburns> dneary: excellent, thanks for the updates
14:35:24 <dneary> I want one in Europe
14:35:37 <dneary> And I'd also like to have one in Raleigh-Durham
14:35:46 <dneary> But nothing firm yet
14:36:50 <mburns> #info dneary working on plans for ovirt workshops but no details yet
14:37:28 <mburns> #topic Other Topics
14:37:35 <mburns> anyhting else for today from anyone?
14:38:35 <dneary> mburns, Release communication plans, perhaps?
14:38:53 <mburns> dneary: we covered most of that in yesterday's meeting i think
14:39:06 <mburns> but we can summarize here, if you want
14:39:08 <dneary> mburns, I'd love to get some more help for the release notes: http://www.ovirt.org/OVirt_3.3_release_notes
14:40:26 <mburns> dneary: what input do you need with the release notes?
14:40:31 <mburns> developer input?
14:40:34 <mburns> what areas?
14:40:40 <dneary> Specifically, I think we need to have a nice picture
14:40:50 <dneary> Also, some pre-release screenshots of features would be lovely
14:41:25 <dneary> mburns, We'll need help promoting the release, and some plain English descriptions of the user benefits of various features would be awesome
14:41:48 <dneary> Sometimes those are obvious, and sometimes I really don't know what the feature means to a user
14:42:21 <itamar> dneary - send an email with those that need more color to arch for folks to fill in?
14:42:36 <mburns> oschreib: can you track down feature owners and have them provide screenshots and plain english descriptions?
14:42:43 <itamar> btw, self hosted engine is still in the works. maybe in an update release
14:42:44 <oschreib> mburns: will do
14:43:25 <oschreib> #action oschreib to track down feature owners and have them provide screenshots and plain english descriptions
14:43:29 <dneary> itamar, Will do
14:44:26 <mburns> ok, anything else from anyone?
14:44:54 <itamar> backup api still also not merged and missed the .0 release
14:48:02 <mburns> ok, last call for topics
14:48:04 <mburns> going once...
14:48:55 <mburns> twice..
14:49:34 <mburns> gone.
14:49:35 <mburns> thanks all
14:49:38 <mburns> #endmeeting